Driver/Clerk - UNOCHA Somalia
Somalia’s prolonged humanitarian crisis is characterized by ongoing conflicts, climate shocks including floods and drought, communicable disease outbreaks and weak social protection. Since the beginning of 2020, two additional shocks have contributed to a deterioration of humanitarian conditions: the desert locust infestation and the COVID-19 pandemic. Flooding displaced 840,000 people in the first 10 months of 2020 and destroyed infrastructure, property, and 144,000 hectares of agricultural land. Somalia also experienced the worst desert locust invasion in 25 years; tens of thousands of hectares of cropland and pasture were damaged, with potentially severe consequences for agriculture and pastoral-based livelihoods. Communities living in conflict areas were severely impacted by armed violence. COVID-19 directly impacted the lives of Somalis, worsening patterns of vulnerability. This came on top of ongoing disease outbreaks such as cholera, measles and, recently, vaccine-derived poliovirus.
- Advocate for access to essential services, especially water, sanitation, food, shelter, education, and health for vulnerable communities, including collecting, analyzing, and disseminating information to humanitarian partners and negotiating access.
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in humanitarian response efforts, including internally displaced and returning.
- Support Government efforts in dealing with the ongoing humanitarian issues, including drought, floods and conflict including building the capacity of Government focal points on humanitarian issues.
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, focusing on strengthening the cluster approach.
- Enhance a protective environment that respects all human rights, including IDPs, returnees, and minority clans.
- Support the development and implementation of the humanitarian coordination structure, strategy and policy.
- Ensures creation of strategic partnerships with humanitarian partners, in particular NGOs and UN agencies to plan and implement assistance programmes;
- Provide effective support to humanitarian partners in operational logistics, with the establishment of contacts to local and national authorities;
- Provide top quality coordination in humanitarian response/preparedness and provide effective technical support to sectors/clusters;
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of contacts with NGOs, UN agencies and relevant government counterparts;
- Organize, participate and/or assist in organizing working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations, field visits and needs assessments with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Monitor the operational environment and produce daily, weekly and regular updates on a timely and regular basis.
- Verify and analyze situational updates that relates to humanitarian emergencies, outbreaks, and displacement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under overall guidance of the Administrative officer and the direct supervision of the Administrative Analyst the driver will perform the following function In summary, the key functions are the:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Maintenance of proper clerical system
- Effective mail management
- Provide logistical and administrative support
1. Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
5. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6. Ensures maintenance of clerical system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the OCHA Global Filing System;
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule;
- Maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents;
- Provision of photocopies of material from the clerical files, as requested by staff;
- Assistance in the collection of reference and background material from clerical files;
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files;
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to clerical activities
7. Ensures provision of effective mail management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters and other correspondence to proper department/unit/officer;
- Registration and dispatch of the outgoing communications, including pouch, and follow-up distribution;
- Prepares the summary of enclosure forms and necessary documents and maintains the file on pouches received to ensure that all bags are accounted for.
8. Provide logistical and administrative support during office events, meetings, workshops, re-treats, as required.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work : Assesses work with critical eye
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow : Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction : Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform : Reliably and consistently listens and interprets information and instruction correctly
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement : Meets goals and timelines for team deliverables
- Operational Effectiveness - Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties : Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop)
- Managing Documents, Correspondence and reports - Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear : Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop
- Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking - Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments : Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed High/Secondary School Education or equivalent with three years of relevant experience as a driver is required.
- Valid driving license (A, B, C, D, E class) is required.
- Training certificate for armored vehicle is desirable
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair is required;
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is desirable;
- Good knowledge of routes within Mogadishu.
- Good knowledge and working experience with HF and VHF Radios.
- Previous work experience with UN organization and International NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of Somali is a requirement.
- Candidates considered for this post will be required to sit a driving test as part of the selection procedure.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.