Standards and Continuous Improvement Lead (Remote with Central European Time - CET)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The Technology Division (TEC) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the immediate agility required in conflict zones on the one hand and with the longer-term stability to cope natural disasters on the other.
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Service Management branch (TECM) and the direct supervision of the Head of Infrastructure Services, you will oversee and coordinate the Standards and Continuous Improvement (SCI) team.
You will be part of TECM management team and act as a technical subject matter expert, supporting strategic initiatives throughout IT with a focus on Standards, Continuous Improvement, DevOps and Agile practices. You will ensure compliance with agreements, changes, incidents, problems and releases as well as deadlines and SLAs. You will be responsible for coordinating the activities around planning, production and adoption of IT Standards and Continuous improvements best practices at all stages of its lifecycle, and for guiding the success of a product and leading a cross-functional team.
Since you will work with a large group of diverse stakeholders, you need to be able to operate at a strategic level, while simultaneously being able to dive deep into the details of each program to drive results.
- Take lead role with stakeholders to align on strategy, process design objectives, resources allocation.
- Act as internal consultant, developing short- and long-term strategies for the organization and incorporating Agile, DevOps, ITIL v4 and other practices.
- Coordinate and lead key projects for improvement across all levels of the organization.
- Supervise several teams directly or collaborate with managers to re-engineer processes.
- Design the Continuous Improvement function, including mission, goals, objectives, working structure, and communication model.
- Driving process-related activities for Incident Management, Problem management, Change management, Configuration Management and Release management.
- Develop, maintain, and improve a tracking mechanism to evaluate individual project success and combined project success toward organizational improvement.
- Actively participate in the formulation and implementation of a Knowledge Management (KM) action plan supported by TEC, internal systems and processes.
- Collaborating across TEC teams to ensure CMDB functionality is appropriate and data is up-to-date.
- Lead and motivate the team, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Perform other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University Degree and training with an emphasis on Computer Science/Engineering, Information Systems.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in operations and or process engineering/continuous improvement role and significant experience leading teams of staff with somewhat varied areas of expertise
- Proven experience in operations and or process engineering/continuous improvement role.
- Experience on training and leading problem-solving activities.
- Proven experience as change agent by driving change in organizations and implementing continuous improvement tools, while utilizing and improving existing methodologies.
- Cloud experience and / or certification on AWS, Azure or GCP is a plus.
Skills & Knowledge
- Certified in ITIL v4, Agile, SCRUM and/or DevOps.
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery experience is a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to reduce complex problems into simpler ones and willingness to dive deep into processes to drive results.
- Ability to collect feedback and translate into opportunities for service improvement.
- Strong strategic view and negotiation skills with the ability to work effectively across internal and external teams.
- Collaborative hands-on team member, relationship-builder with a strong business partnering skills and customer service oriented;
- Excellent critical thinking and proactive problem-solving abilities;
- Strong project management skills, excellent interpersonal, communications and presentation skills;
- Excellent oral, editing and writing skills;
- Ability to influence and adapt communication styles to different situations and individuals;
- Ability to work independently, to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Passionate and committed to excellence;
- Ethics & Values, Client Orientation, Cognitive Capacity, Stress Resistance, Behavioural Flexibility.
Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package, which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 28 July 2021 at 11:59pm Rome time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Saving lives, changing lives