Programme Development Officer (PDO)
Kampala (Uganda) | Nairobi | Dar es Salaam
We Effect was founded in 1958 by the Swedish cooperative movement to support the development of democratic organisations and societies that can articulate the rights and needs of their members in respect of work, influence, services, incomes, and livelihoods. We Effect works in more than 20 countries in Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Africa through our regional offices in partnership with local CSO, farmer organisations, cooperative federations, and other democratic organisations.
Two main thematic fields are pursued:
· Sustainable rural development, including support for farmers’ own organisations, organisational and business development, advocacy, technical advice, sustainable farming and food production training and adaptation to climate change.
· Adequate housing, including support for cooperative housing organisations, advocacy and technical advice and education and training.
We Effect is a decentralised organisation. Outside Sweden, operations are managed by regional offices. In the Regional office and under the two programs staff support execution of necessary tasks to support the work of We Effect Regional office of Eastern Africa. The Programme Development Officer has the responsibility supporting programme development cycle and works closely with the Programs Director, Communication Officer and Financial Controller. The PDO reports directly to the Program Director and will be the focal point/project leader for all the call for proposal. The position is open to Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda nationals only.
The objective of the position is “Contribute to the programming and resourcing of the organisation’s development cooperation by coordinating the design and writing of interventions/projects and grants proposals.
The responsibility of the Programme Development Officer includes:
· The development of programmes and lead grant management process to maintain support and programme quality.
· Supporting programme and country office teams to ensure donor compliance is adhered to, monitoring and evaluation systems are implemented, and programme quality is maintained for the best results to achieve We Effect organisational goals.
- More specifically, the PDO will coordinate: - establishment and maintenance of donor relationships, writing proposals, management of grants, monitoring and evaluation of projects, and ensure reporting to donors as per contract agreements.
- Update, further develop and implement the regional strategy for resource mobilisation.
- Support and promote the development of strategic alliances with donor organisations and other strategic actors, with special emphasis on the EU and local Nordic embassies in the region.
- Undertake capacity building initiatives for staff and partners on skills improvement and understanding of the We Effect global resource mobilization manual.
- In collaboration with the country liaison officers, coordinate country intelligence work concerning donor and funding trends in Eastern Africa to identify funding opportunities.
- Coordinate information material needs and targeted donor communication with the regional communication officer; and
- Evaluate and systematically document the experiences and lessons learnt.
Qualifications, Skills and Experiences
- Bachelor’s Degree in development studies; Social Sciences, Marketing, or related field from a recognized University.
- At least 5 years’ experience in programming and fundraising for Civil Society Organizations/NGOs.
- Proven proposal writing skills and evidence of successful resource mobilization initiatives undertaken.
- Experience in grant management
- Demonstrable ability to develop relationships and networks that are of value to organize fundraising initiatives.
- Demonstrable coordination skills and understanding of project management cycle.
- Proven ability to work and deliver within strict deadlines and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven self-drive and ability to play a leadership role within an organization.
- Ability to creatively solve problems.
- Good analytical skills in developing and implementing resource mobilization strategies with attention to details.
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Ability to prioritize workload and demonstrate deliverables/outcomes.
- Good understanding of financial management and reporting processes.
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use a variety of software, particularly Excel.
- Possession of a master’s degree and/or additional programme & resource mobilization training will be an added advantage.
- Experience in programmes designing, monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Experience working in resource mobilization
- Experience in data gathering, processing and use of various qualitative and quantitative tool.
Apply at the latest 2021-06-18. Apply by uploading your CV and cover letter to impact pool.
Please note that you this position is open Kenya, Tanzania and Ugandan nationals only. Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
The employment is a two-year fixed-term contract at the national level, with the possibility of prolongation. You are expected to be available from the We Effect offices located in either of the countries.
We Effect works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organisation. We welcome applicants regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, race, colour, ethnicity, religious belief, political opinion, national extraction, social origin, HIV/AIDS status, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, and/or trade union membership or activities.
For more information
George Onyango, Regional Director, email@example.com