Programme Analyst - Results Based Management
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In Thailand, UNDP partners with the host government, civil society including the business community, the United Nations system, the development partners and other development actors to help the country achieve sustainable development including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP Thailand Country Office (CO) is reorganizing internally and moving towards an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation.
In this context, UNDP Thailand is seeking for a Programme Analyst – Results Based Management (RBM) who will primarily focus on leveraging programme & management results support services to facilitate continuous learning and high performance of the CO.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative—the Programme Analyst (RBM) identifies country priorities and emerging issues, ensures alignment/linkage of projects with country programme and the UNDP Strategic Plan, monitors programme implementation, and supports the UNDP Country Programme and CO strategy and business planning based on analysis of development trends while promoting organizational learning. S/he provides oversight services to senior management with respect to policy and programming funds and resources and provides proactive impactful substantive and technical support during all stages of the strategic planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
The incumbent develops and implements innovative methods that strategically capture and share technical knowledge from all teams and partners to improve program effectiveness through creative collaboration across teams.
The Programme Analyst - RBM is responsible for a wide variety of activities related to identifying, managing and disseminating key information to advance technical practice and provide team members and collaborators with the tools they need to reach new audiences, attract new partners and perform better work. S/he models the commitment to creative collaboration and team accountability in support of Thailand’s development priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ideas & expertise:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to the UN Common Country Assessment (CCA), the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), UNDP Country Programme and other strategic documents. Continually assess the alignment of UNDP’s efforts with Thailand’s development priorities and assess the value of its contribution proposing specific measures for recalibration.
- Coordinate Country Programme Document (CPD) and CO level integrated planning, monitoring, and results and donor reporting processes.
- Establish realistic plan of research, monitoring and evaluation activities that will provide the most relevant and strategic information to manage the Country Programme, including tracking and assessing UNDP’s distinct achievements and contributions. Ensure the effective implementation of the plan.
- Ensure compliance to corporate programming policies and reporting cycles, including quality ROAR (Results Oriented Annual Reporting) which are related to annual Country Office Business Plan and Integrated Work Plan, CO Project Work Plans ensuring Baselines, Milestones and Targets exist.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Develop internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) tools and guidelines for projects and portfolios.
- Provide technical support to ensure that UNDP’s monitoring systems are properly designed with clear sources of data and responsible parties, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes to feed into programme performance monitoring.
- Establish internal and external monitoring, data collection and verification systems, including field monitoring visits, training and event feedback, baseline and endline surveys, third party monitoring, and systems of collecting stakeholder and beneficiary feedback and /or any other data collection interventions, surveys in the country office.
- Analysis and synthesis of monitoring and evaluation reports and other data sources to assess on the effectiveness and impact of UNDP programme Support CO management to track, analyze and propose measures to mitigate risks, including social and environmental risks, against enterprise risk management policy and framework
- Support policy and programme teams with strong Theories of Change and Results Framework with baselines, milestones and targets for new projects and programmes, ensure resources are allocated for M&E as per UNDP Policies
- Coordinate programme and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the CPD and projects, identification of operational challenges, development of solutions.
- Lead projects and portfolios as they prepare for CO programmatic audit and follow up
- Provide quality assurance for evaluation processes and implement Quality Assurance assessment against IEO’s criteria for all project, programme and thematic evaluation TORs and reports.
- Drafting and reviewing management responses to the evaluations, and monitoring their implementation
- Monitor and oversee programme teams’ project reporting for timely, evidence and data based, quality submissions
- Liaise with UN agencies in Thailand, and UNDP country and regional offices to develop partnerships, benefit from experiences and forge partnerships for innovations in monitoring and evaluations;
- Deliver programme implementation advice to national counterparts
- Act as UNDP’s representative to UNCT monitoring and evaluation practices including with the UNSDCF M&E and data groups
Team Collaboration, Capacity Building and quality programme management services
- Set up a team of national M&E focal points across projects and programmes for capacity building and coordination;
- Develop and implement capacity building strategy for national partners and institutions vis-à-vis UNDP programming.
- Exercise effective leadership in implementing capacity development plan on M&E for the CO ensuring that Country Office staff has the knowledge and skills to fulfil their M&E responsibilities.
- Sound contributions to associated knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Inputs to and update of outreach/publicity material geared towards partners and donors.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
Development Planning and Monitoring
- Ability to develop business and planning processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to set goals and indicators and to interpret and synthesize results into usable information to inform policy, strategy, and/or action
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Knowledge of methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in social sciences, in economics, business administration, statistics, social sciences or related fields.
- Certification in programme/ project management (e.g. Managing Successful Programme, Project Management Professional, PRINCE 2, etc.) would be an advantage.
- Relevant experience in data analysis and monitoring, statistical methods, and programme management and implementation is desirable. If candidate has only Bachelor’s degree, 2 years of relevant experience is required.
- Fluency in Thai and English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.