Programme Manager [Sports for Development and Peace]
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the activities for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
UNAOC is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
Within this framework, UNAOC, in partnership with the UN Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) and the International Centre for Sport Security (ICSS) launched the “Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism.”. Attacks against sports events are particularly condemnable, as sports have historically played a significant role in the dissemination of positive values throughout the world and across civilization and cultures, especially for the youth. Research has demonstrated that sports both play a positive role in preventing radicalization, promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, and facilitating integration at large, thus making sports a powerful vector for the development of efforts aimed at preventing and countering violent-extremism and radicalization. The incumbent will be responsible to implement the activities for which UNAOC is responsible, see "Functional Responsibilities" below for description of specific tasks.
The incumbent of this position will be personnel of UNOPS under its full administrative and financial responsibility. This position is located in UNAOC office, New York, USA. The incumbent will report to the Senior Management and High Representative of the UNAOC.
This position is to implement the “Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism”, which is limited to 2020-2023 period.
- Lead the UNAOC component of the “Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism”
- Lead the organization of Youth Leaders Regional Fora
- Research and collect young leaders’ experiences in sports and PVE related activities/initiatives;
- Follow-up and Illustrate the outcomes of the Youth Regional Fora of the High-level event (Global Symposium) on the protection of major sporting events and the use of sports to prevent violent extremism;
- Conceptualize and develop youth related PCVE strategy incorporating sports as a tool for PCVE including the review and analysis of current issues and trends
- Follow the work of other UN sectors, international organizations, and CSOs that focus on PCVE
- Design strategy to amplify the voices/input of young leaders in the strategies of the major communications/awareness raising campaign #SayNoToTerrorism”, including promotional video, leaflets, and other materials;
- Expand and maintain the networks of youth-led organizations represented in the community of experts on PVE which the partners will develop and maintain;
- Conceptualize and Develop a Training Handbook for the use of sport to PVE, highlighting opportunities for implementation in the Member States organizing major events. UNAOC will ensure that the Handbook will contain specific considerations for the role of youth;
- Monitor and evaluate youth-led organizations and/or organizations targeting youth empowerment that received grants through the program to use sports and its values to prevent and counter violent extremism and radicalization.
- Oversee the development of an Application for Smartphone for implementation of social and PVE programs in general and in connection with major sporting events;
- Monitor and analyse programmet development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Continuously explore opportunities to expand the programme by networking and form strategic partnerships;
- When requested, participate and represent UNAOC during the Global Programme;
- Advocate for sport as a powerful tool to promote peace, tolerance and understanding by organizing events, meetings, conferences, in relation to the Global Programme;
- Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters relevant to PCVE and CT
Policy development and communications management:
- Coordinate policy development related to sports for development and peace (SDP), preventing and countering violent extremism (PCVE)) and meaningful youth engagement, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Organize and prepare written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications relating to the work of UNAOC on PCVE
- Produce communication materials for Newsletters, brochure, website, and social media; related to the Global Programme;
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.Education:
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent)
- Bachelor’s degree with additional two (2) years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in international development cooperation
- A minimum of seven (7) years of work experience in programme management
- Experience in drafting analytical policy papers on high profile matters is desirable
- A minimum of seven (7) years of work experience in the field of sports for development and peace (SDP), prevention of violent extremism (PVE), promotion of youth development is desirable.
- Field experience is an asset;
- Experience in collecting data is desirable
- Knowledge of cross-cutting peace and security issues, especially policy matters related to counter-terrorism and political analysis is desirable
- Experience in advocacy, stakeholder relations management, organizing events; communication and capacity building at the international level is desirable;
- In depth knowledge of UN system and its work on prevention of violent extremism as and when conductive to terrorism as well as issues related to youth and sports, peace and development is an asset;
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P4
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.