National Consultant for Preparing a Publication on Social Cohesion in Montenegro
The joint regional programme, Dialogue for the Future (DFF), aims to create more spaces for constructive dialogue between various communities, citizens and their elected leaders, thus promoting positive coexistence, trust and genuine respect for diversity. The project is implemented in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Serbia and Montenegro, by UNDP, UNICEF, UNESCO and national partners.
The programme focuses on one overall outcome and three outputs:
Outcome: Stability and trust in the region, and especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina, are enhanced.
Output 1.1. Different groups in the region, and youth in particular, acquire and practice skills to help break stereotypes and constructively interact across divides.
Output 1.2: Citizens from different groups jointly identify and implement actions that can promote social cohesion in the region, especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Output 1.3: Policy recommendations to improve social cohesion in the region are effectively advocated for and endorsed by authorities and relevant stakeholders.
The main conceptual framework promoted and discussed through the project is the one of social cohesion.
Social cohesion is multidimensional concept. Essentially, social cohesion is the extent of trust in government andwithin society and the willingness to participate collectively toward a shared vision of sustainable peace and commondevelopment goals.
Social cohesion is characterised by horizontal and vertical relations and dynamics, with complex interdependencies both across and between those two dimensions. The vertical dimension represents trust between government and society. This includes trust in political, economic or social leaders, institutions, and processes such as elections, access to justice, taxation, budgeting, and the delivery of public services. The horizontal dimension describes the trust, relationships and interactions among people in a society across divisions such as identity or other social constructs. The horizontal dimension involves cohesion among citizens, reflected in the extent to which civil society, social organizations and institutions exhibit trust and a sense of interdependence and common destiny.Social cohesion is also an important variable in society`s resilience to risks. The most recent pandemics, for instance, has shown how much trust in governments, solidarity, acceptance of social rules and citizen engagement have been all factors of society`s resilience and response to this crisis.
For the purpose of advocacy, promotion and informing public narrative of social cohesion, 2 consultants will be engaged to prepare a publication on social cohesion in Montenegro.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the assignment:
Under direct supervision of the National Joint Programme Coordinator and Project Coordinator, national consultants will ensure implementation of the following tasks:
- Desk review of available data and analysis related to social cohesion in Montenegro (3 days)
- Design of the contents and the structure of the document, subject of approval by UNDP (2 days)
- Preparation of a publication on social cohesion in Montenegro (20 days)
Publication should include:
1. Definitions and theoretical approaches to social cohesion2. Contemporary scientific data related to specific dimensions of social cohesion (trust among people, trust in government, solidarity, interculturalism, citizen engagement, etc)3. Social cohesion measurements and related indexes4. Available data on social cohesion indicators and dimensions in Montenegro5. Recommendations on the improvement of social cohesion in Montenegro, including the recommendations resulting from dialogue events on social cohesion, held through the Dialogue for the future project
- Promotion of the publication by participation at events or through articles (5 days)
N.B. The assignment will be delivered in a team of 2 consultants.
Also, the publication should be finalised by the end of March 2021 or first week of April the latest.
Timing and reporting:
The Consultants will be engaged under Individual Contract (IC) on short-term basis for total 30 days per consultant, within 2 months period. The consultants will work in Podgorica and from home.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree, preferably in social sciences;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant progressive experience in academic or practical work in the area of social cohesion and its related domains;
- Excellent skills in analysis and written and verbal presentation of complex concepts and content;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills;
- Excellent social, communication skills and ability to operate under pressure;
- Fluency in local and English language is required.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by Maech 3, 2021 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at https://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".