National Professional Officer (Labs)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme(The Programme) is to help countries, and tocoordinate international action, to prevent,prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover fromoutbreaks and emergencies. Within WHE, this project contributes tostrengthening national capacities against COVID-19.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Within the framework of the Strengthening national capacities against COVID-19 project and in alignment with the EU contribution agreement, the incumbent will provide technical expertise and operational support to the Ministry of Health and partners in timely responses to outbreaks/epidemics and health emergencies through managing the laboratory related activities in compliance with the WHO recommended standards:
- Provide operational support for the development, implementation and oversight of Next Generation Genome Sequencing capacities to be developed/strengthened under the project;
- Cooperate with project stakeholders in improving analytical and diagnostics services, quality and environmental management, equipment maintenance, safety and bio-safety for laboratories.
- Contribute in strengthening the national capacity at the health laboratories; assess training needs and support/coordinate with relevant experts to organize trainings for laboratory personnel in the related technical areas.
- Support large-scale procurements of laboratory equipment and supplies• Provide operational support for the Introduction and implementation of Rapid Antigen Testing across selected health facilities in the country.
- Provide support in updating and maintaining the related reporting and information systems, documenting the response and laboratory strengthening activities, as and when required.
- Supports implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of activities and drawing/documenting lessons to be learnt. Assists with the development of work plans, including timeframes and activity cost estimates, budgets, tracking and monitoring project implementation using project tracking systems. Facilitates smooth information flow it on activities through preparation and sharing of reports, organizing and participating in meetings/ trainings.
- Other tasks as requested by the supervisors.
Essential: University degree in life science, biomedical science, medicine or medical virology from an accredited/ recognized institute.
Desirable: Certified training or qualification in molecular biology, virology, bacteriology, infectious diseases, and/or epidemiology and laboratory techniques. Training in molecular techniques. Training in Public Health or Public health laboratory practice is an added advantage.
Essential: At least two years of practical and operational application and management of laboratory services, laboratory diagnosis of communicable diseases at the national levels.Expert knowledge in and using molecular technique for rapid typing and whole genome sequencing, knowledge of microbiological, clinical and laboratory surveillance.
Desirable: Experience in outbreaks and/or health emergency response of international impact.Experience in establishing or improving laboratory infrastructure for microbiology and/or detection of infectious diseases. Experience in planning and implementing laboratory trainings at national level. Experience in evaluating novel diagnostics assays for emergency use authorization during outbreak response.Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies; experience working in relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations.
Demonstrated knowledge of response operations and their implementation in emergencies as related to public health, complemented by demonstrated ability to identify and manage difficult situations.
Excellent skills in the monitoring and analysis of emergency situations.
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.
Proven ability to communicate effectively. Tact, discretion and ability to promote consensus.
Proficiency in standard computer applications e.g. electronic communication, database searches and management, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and planning software.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of the English language. Excellent knowledge of the Turkish language.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at TRY 210,563 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.