ICT Analyst - Emerging Technologies - Reopened
|Vacancy Announcement Number||1946|
|Date of Issue||28/09/2020|
|Deadline for Applications||10/02/2021|
|Organizational Unit||Inform. & Comm Technology Div.|
|Duration of Assignment||2 years|
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Information Communications Technology Division (ICT) is responsible for providing information technology solutions and services to support the operations of IFAD and to ensure that, in fighting rural poverty, IFAD makes the most effective use of Information and Communications Technology tools and services. The position of ICT Analyst, Junior Project Manager, reports to the ICT Solutions Coordinator, in the Information Communications Technology Division.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
The incumbent is expected to have hands-on technical experience of working with Emerging Technologies including but not limited to Robotics, chatbots, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent automation, Virtual reality, Machine Learning, Drones, IOT, Blockchain, audio and visual recognition / search, contributing to the ICT work programme including:
- Ability to design and deploy technical solutions using the emerging technologies listed above
- Develop solutions using emerging technologies, including the use of open source frameworks and tools - the solution might be a proof of concept or fully functional deliverable
- Remain informed of new developments on emerging technologies including via involvement in relevant technology practitioner networks and share such knowledge within ICT and IFAD as appropriate
- Promote and lead on efficient and appropriate adoption of emerging technologies within ICT, with an ability to effectively present to stakeholders related projects and benefits
- Understand links and act as a champion for integration opportunities between emerging technologies and established tools or core enterprise technologies
- Work closely with colleagues with responsibility for cyber security to support compliance with all security guidelines
- Plan and manage activities of projects using emerging technologies, while ensuring efficient usage of assigned resources and adequate alignment of scope, schedule, budget and human resources.
- Lead a distributed group of stakeholders and provide the vision required to deliver desired project requirements
- Define strategies for and manage contingency planning and risk mitigation to effectively deliver related projects
- Monitor and report on project progress, schedule, deliverables and risks, as required through regular reports, meetings, presentations and other communications. Prepare lessons learned and end project reports
- Take responsibility for overall technical project progress and use of resources and initiate corrective action where necessary. Approve deviations in terms of effort and planning that fall within the agreed tolerances (based on agreed methodology)
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
The ICT Analyst, Junior Project Manager will work within the ICT team to deliver the ICT programme of work each year in supporting IFAD to deliver on its Mandate. S/he will work according to agreed principles around security, governance and accountability. S/he will be responsible for advancing the adoption of emerging technologies within IFAD while ensuring correct technical positioning within the existing ecosystem.
The ICT Analyst, Junior Project Manager, will manage and deliver a combination of small focused projects, components of larger enterprise projects or programmes as well as pilots and proofs of concepts. The driver for the measurement of success of the projects will be the impact on IFAD operations.
Representation / Work relationships
The Junior Project Manager will work closely with colleagues across the organization. S/he must have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to manage relationships effectively and independently.
Technical Functional Requirements
- Strong Software development background
- Demonstrable track record of developing technical projects using any of the emerging technologies: Robotics, chatbots, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent automation, Virtual reality, Machine Learning, Drones, IOT, Blockchain, audio and visual recognition / search
- Demonstrable experience in developing quick prototypes in the technologies mentioned above as part of conceptualising new project approaches
- Ability to read, write, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and schematics
- Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements through workshops and brainstorming with business leads
- Experience in managing projects or sub-components in at least one of the mentioned emerging technologies
- Ability to provide technical advice and direction for projects in the mentioned emerging technologies
- Ability to successfully deliver assigned projects within assigned scope, budget and schedule
- Ability to utilize project management skills to lead or to coordinate projects including effective escalation and issue resolution
- Experience of applying iterative Solution Development Life Cycle (SDLC) to manage and implement solution development activities
- Customer orientation to provide technical expertise to assist stakeholders within and outside IFAD, including presenting issues by not using technical terms to explain technology issues, if so required.
- A Project Management Qualification or equivalent is desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in IT, of which at least 2 focused on hands-on development and application of emerging technologies
- Proven track record of hands-on experience of working with emerging technologies listed above.
- Proven track record of developing prototypes or projects with the emerging technologies listed above
- International experience and ability to work effectively with different cultures and contexts to develop technology solutions
- Very strong interpersonal skills and relationship management
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and exhibiting gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes.
- Understanding and/or familiarity with the United Nations common system or international financial institutions is desirable
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- A Masters university degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related fields or its equivalent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.