Senior Manager, Nutrition
Senior Manager, Nutrition
- New Delhi
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI in partnership with its India affiliate, William J. Clinton Foundation's (WJCF) has been working in India since 2004 in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the central and state levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI/WJCF programs, supports government initiatives on HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer, immunisation, and health financing. Additionally, CHAI/WJCF is also supporting the government of Madhya Pradesh (GoMP) on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due to malnutrition, anaemia, diarrhoea and pneumonia, and helping increase access to quality family planning services.
Since 2016, WJCF has been supporting the state of Madhya Pradesh for developing and executing ambitious new efforts to reduce chronic malnutrition in India. Our program focus has been on:
- Reducing prevalence of anaemia in adolescent girls and pregnant and lactating women by
- Strengthening the current Iron Folic Acid (IFA) supplementation programs
- Increasing awareness and knowledge on anaemia amongst frontline workers/ beneficiaries by driving operational excellence of a large field force of over 140 field staff
- Advocating for introduction of fortified staple commodities
- Reducing prevalence of underweight and stunting among children under three by
- Improving and delivering affordable, nutritious food products fortified with the necessary minerals and vitamins
- Addressing implementation gaps and enhance program efficiency by introducing scalable technology solutions for supply chain management and
- Strengthening community-level systems for monitoring of nutrition indicators and establish a continuum of care and treatment for children with chronic, moderate and severe acute malnutrition
We have been supporting the implementation of this strategy in Madhya Pradesh and expects to serve as a catalyst to inform similar scale-up efforts in other high-burden states. The program in Madhya Pradesh is distinct from previous and current efforts in terms of its scale, scope and level of innovation.
While the program has made steady progress in improving the effectiveness of public funded delivery systems of nutrition services to vulnerable communities, the impact of its work on anaemia and stunting reduction would be yielded in the longer term. Government funded programs are designed to bridge the dietary and supplementation gaps that communities can’t acquire otherwise due to the economic, social and behavioural constraints. While it’s important to bridge gaps in programs focused on nutrition, improving livelihoods and the ability of local communities to be able to source wholly nutritious food has to be at the heart of an ambitious strategy to arrest malnutrition. Therefore, for the current phase, the program is focusing on improving dietary diversity and access to safe drinking water through community-led enterprises in conjunction with the existing initiatives to comprehensively address malnutrition. Further, COVID-19 has delivered massive demand and supply shock to the socio-economic and health delivery mechanism and immensely exacerbated issues for millions of migrants. Hence, WJCF’s forward-looking strategy will encompass two broad arms: mitigate the disruption caused by COVID-19 shocks to nutrition gains and incept and scale initiatives that approach the nutrition agenda from new but complimentary angles.
The Senior Manager, Nutrition will be responsible for leading the program in the state under the guidance of the Department of Women and Child Development and the National Health Mission, Madhya Pradesh. The Senior Manager will develop/refine the program strategy, oversee execution of operations and engage/coordinate with stakeholders/development partners to achieve development objective. The Senior Manager, Nutrition will be directly accountable to organization leadership for timely and quality delivery of program goals.
We are seeking a highly qualified and motivated individual with strong analytical, quantitative, and strategy skills and an exemplary record of leadership and management. The successful candidate will have excellent communications skills, be able to function independently with flexibility in dynamic and often uncertain situations, be able to thrive in challenging environments, and have a strong commitment to excellence. They will also adept at coordinating operations of cross-functional and multi-location teams and have a strong commitment to excellence. We place great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Develop and oversee the strategic direction and implementation of CHAI’s Nutrition Programme, ensuring consistent improvements in equitable access to nutrition services
- Nurture and scale up new initiatives that address malnutrition by catalysing government policies on dietary diversity and safe drinking water
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships with MoHFW, DWCD, other government stakeholders and key partners at a senior level.
- Play the high-level representational role with the government, donors, partners and other stakeholders at the national and state levels.
- Manage the design and implementation of various program work streams. Provide in-depth and high-quality technical assistance to state government on programs aimed at curbing malnutrition and initiatives linking dietary diversity, safe water access and nutrition using multiple existing platforms in the state and centre like POSHAN, NRLM/ SRLM, JJM etc.
- Coordinate with the delivery/implementation team to ensure timely delivery and progress on the envisaged operational plans.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation team (M&E) internal and global team on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of periodic evaluation surveys
- Provide strategic insight at technical working groups and/or other high-level meetings/conferences as a senior level representative of the organization
- Build the program by continually developing capacity and skills of staff, identifying human resources needs and leading recruitment of new team members
- Undertake donor and grant management and manage the operations and finances of the program to meet deliverables within the appropriate timeframes
- Work with leadership to further the scope of the program and identify news areas where the organization can deliver value
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Country Director
- 12-15 years or more of experience in a demanding result driven environment in the private or public sector, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership
- Master’s degree in business administration, management sciences, public health with exceptional problem-solving solving skills and analytical capabilities
- Demonstrated success in coordinating various stakeholders/interests (public sector engagement would be highly relevant) and developing strong relationships in order to drive a process successfully
- Exceptional diplomacy and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to create persuasive presentations and written reports
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects involving multiple teams, including priority setting, planning, budgeting, performance review and management; and influencing with limited authority
- Ability to balance and find productive trade-offs between various tensions (personal style, incentives, timeframe)
- High emotional intelligence, patience and thoughtfulness even in high-pressure, stressful situations
- Fluency in English & Hindi
- Prior experience of working in management consulting and/or public health especially governance, systems strengthening, financing and /or management of operations at sub- national level, or similar fast-paced, output-oriented environments
- Strong experience of engaging with government officials and multilateral organizations
- Knowledge of health systems strengthening and/or development/social sector consulting experience