State Program Officer
State Program Officer
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
- Bihar, Punjab,Uttar Pradesh,Tamil Nadu
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States’ levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer and immunization.
The world has not experienced a pandemic at the scale or pace of the current COVID-19 pandemic; the virus has ferociously attacked high- and low-income countries alike, but in so doing has exposed inequities in access to quality care within and across countries. Despite a proactive mitigation and stringent suppression strategy, the number of COVID cases in India continues to rise. While the indirect impacts of the COVID-19 on availability and utilization of routine health services cannot yet be known, lessons from previous crises suggest that service disruption and displacement will have grave impact on population health. In order to address these challenges, a robust response based on strengthened health workforce, resilient supply chains and rapid increase in diagnostic capacity is being spearheaded by the Ministry of Health and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
WJCF, in partnership with its affiliate CHAI, is supporting the COVID-19 response in the areas of testing policy, strengthened data and delivery systems, and development of guidelines. The programme has been supporting the ICMR in scaling up testing, providing data-driven insights to support supply chain management including forecasting and inventory management, and helping build guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for downstream distribution of commodities. Separately, the programme also supports selected states on localized strategies for testing scale up and equitable access, stronger engagement with the private sector, improved treatment readiness, robust awareness campaigns and capacity building initiatives, and analytics-based programme management.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with excellent analytical ability and strong communication skills for the role of State Program Officer (SPO). The SPO will input to the Engagement Lead and will be expected to develop and manage strong relationships with the State Department of Health to support program implementation initiatives. The role will require the SPO to help design, monitor and drive implementation of evidence-based COVID-19 strategies. The ideal candidate must have strong quantitative and analytical skills, excellent communication and written skills, be self-directed, be able to adapt to the differing needs of the program and have a strong commitment to excellence.
A strong profile will include outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication skills. The candidate must be self-driven, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and have a high level of comfort with ambiguity. The SPO must be able to function independently and flexibly with a strong commitment to excellence. We place great value on qualities such as resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support Department of Health (DoH) in all aspects of strategy and planning and implementation, ensuring ongoing alignment with the DoH strategic goals and priorities for COVID-19
- Translate objectives provided by the national and state departments, donors, and other partner organizations into clear activity plans, and DoH on prioritization of initiatives;
- Manage and establish collaborative relationships with the DoH, suppliers, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinate and/or participate in working group(s) to support evidence generation for implementation of initiatives;
- Conduct testing and treatment capacity utilization (both public and private sector) and suggest interventions for optimizing and augmenting lab operations,
- Support National lead in implementing effective PPP for augmenting testing and treatment capacity in the state.
- Build database of suppliers of essential commodities and equipment for states to access products expediently
- Implement innovative solutions to reduce supply as well as demand side disruptions in other health services
- Routinely monitor, compile, synthesize and analyze data to ensure optimal targeting, implementation, and effectiveness of program interventions;
- Ensure communication and alignment of activities across government and partner stakeholders efforts and across other CHAI programs in India to ensure coordination and successful execution of the program;
- Conduct analyses to ensure sufficient supplies of commodities and equipment, appropriate coverage with interventions, and/or progress towards program goals;
- Draft compelling presentations and reports for internal and external stakeholders;
- Work with CHAI's technical teams and Program Manager(s) to develop and implement a coordinated program of support;
- Support capacity building of key government functionaries on relevant competencies for sustained ownership and delivery.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by programme leadership.
- Master's/Bachelor’s degree in management, economics, engineering, computer science, statistics, operations research, economics, public health or allied areas with 3-4 years’ work experience
- Experience working in public health organization OR management consulting, development sector or similar fast-paced, output-oriented environments OR pharmaceutical, biotechnology or medical device industry
- Exceptional analytical (qualitative and quantitative) skills with high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and stakeholder management capabilities. Demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information, especially clinical, scientific and technical manufacturing information
- Willing to travel extensively within the state