Senior Program Officer, Sexual and Reproductive Health
Senior Program Officer, Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Zambia
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Zambia has a high maternal mortality ratio (278 deaths per 100,000 live births), in part due to unintended pregnancies and unsafe abortions. About 45% of married women use contraceptives, and an additional 21% have an unmet need for family planning. Total demand for family planning among currently married women increased from 45% in 1992 to 69% in 2018. Yet, the contraceptive prevalence rate (CPR) among currently married women age 15-49 is 50%, with only 48% using a modern method. Only 9% of married women of reproductive age are using LARC, and 10% of unmarried women of reproductive age are using LARC; married contraceptive users use less effective short-acting methods like injectables and pills.
CHAI Zambia has begun a new grant to work in collaboration with the Ministry of Health to develop best practices of country-led reproductive health product introduction.
The Senior Program Officer, Sexual and Reproductive Health will lead efforts on this grant to:
Identify and actualize government-led best practice for product introduction:
The goal is to actualize more efficient, effective, routine government led product introduction that can continue without partner support. CHAI will provide direct technical assistance (TA) to the Ministry of Health to improve and establish the full scope of systems and processes required for governments to optimize RH product markets in-country by providing leadership across the full spectrum of product introduction, from informing product development to scale-up. This may require engagement with the private sector where relevant to ensure that public and private systems are leveraged for greater sustainability and efficiency of product introduction.
Test and iterate best practices through introduction and scale-up of reproductive health product(s):
Additionally, introduction and scale-up of a reproductive health product will be used as a test case (hormonal IUS, MA combipack) to set up the processes and to identify opportunities to optimize the management and supply of the entire RH product portfolio. Therefore, CHAI Zambia seeks a highly motivated individual to provide deep technical assistance and coordination support to MOH to support best-practice government led product introduction.
The Senior Program Officer will be based in Lusaka, Zambia, and will report to the Program Manager, SRH.
This role will entail direct technical assistance to MOH on the following functions:
- Creatively and critically analyze and visualize data and develop presentations, progress reports, and other knowledge products to share successes and challenges met during product introduction and scale up
- Support and institutionalize routine lessons learned through documentation and data driven decision-making to optimize new product introduction
- Support mapping of existing product introduction processes, stakeholders, and requirements
- Support integration of product introduction best practices and R&R into government protocols, job descriptions as relevant, so that these are embedded within the relevant SOP/TOR/processes;
- Support and embed product introduction best practices and R&R into government protocols, outlined in relevant SOP/processes, and where feasible into government budgets and/or budgeting systems through linkages with ministries of Health (MOH) and Finance (MOF);
- Support development or optimization of guidelines for new product introduction;
- Support to conduct product landscape and needs analysis, including review of market and pilot assessment status and acceptability among clients and providers;
- Support and institute periodic review and document process of product landscape by the RH product introduction taskforce;
- Support optimization of registration processes for new products;
- Support development, costing, implementation and monitoring of detailed national commodity introduction and scale up plans for test case products jointly with government;
- Support MOH to ensure routine monitoring, accountability, and course corrections to the national plan, while simultaneously building capacity of the product introduction task force to carry out routine analytical functions required for product introduction
- Review health information and logistics management systems to ensure critical data on supply and consumption of the product are captured through these systems;
- Support analyses of policy and regulatory landscape to make recommendations and support any policy revisions that may be required to ensure the smooth introduction of the products;
- Support annual quantification exercises as needed and integration of commodities into supply chain systems for test case products;
- Support integration of commodities into training and service delivery guidelines and systems for test case products;
- Provide input into relevant technical documents to support the product introduction and scale up (e.g. provider training curricula and SOPs, service delivery guidelines etc.) for test case products
- Provide capacity building support to MOH to sustain, institutionalize and carry out the above functions and requirements of the product introduction task force;
- Other duties as assigned by the Ministry of Health to meet the grant goals and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, such as Public Health, Business Administration, Social or Health Sciences
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Business Administration or related field or Prior experience and/or expertise in SRMNH will be an added advantage
- 4 years of professional experience in demanding, results-oriented environments in the public and/or private sector.
- Strong analytical skills and technical capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills required, including experience using Excel for quantitative analyses or costing.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and quantitative skills, and ability to use data to inform program development and strategy and to present results in both narrative and graphic form.
- Proven ability to operate independently, multitask, and set and achieve ambitious targets with limited guidance.