Associate, Essential Medicines
Associate, Essential Medicines
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit https://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States’ levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer, sexual and reproductive health, and immunisation. Additionally, CHAI is supporting the government of Madhya Pradesh (MP) on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due pneumonia, malnutrition, anaemia, and diarrhoea.
CHAI, in partnership with the governments of five-high-burden countries (India, Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia and Nigeria) and leading global institutions, is supporting intensified efforts at both global and country levels to plan, resource, and implement effective interventions for scaling-up access to treatment for pneumonia & diarrhoea, which combined, kills over 1.5 million children every year.
In India, CHAI, since 2012, implemented efforts to increase the percent of children with Diarrhoea receiving zinc/ORS in three focus states (Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh). CHAI is now focusing efforts on under five (U-5) Pneumonia management, particularly ensuring timely diagnosis & treatment for children with pneumonia, severe pneumonia including due to hypoxemia, and availability of oxygen at public health facilities in Madhya Pradesh (MP), which accounts for approximately one eighth of total pneumonia mortality in the country. Appropriate pneumonia treatment and care is constrained by primary dependence in rural areas on informal providers, who lack appropriate training and knowledge as also supply chain inefficiencies that hamper availability of essential medicines and commodities. Further, knowledge and skills gaps at mid-tier public health facilities lead to inconsistent and inaccurate pneumonia classification, problems with oxygen administration, and higher burden on higher level healthcare facilities.
To overcome these challenges, CHAI/WJCF has been working with government to draft a comprehensive strategy to significantly improve treatment and care and, therefore, outcomes for children suffering from pneumonia. At the national level, the program has supported efforts in development of pneumonia guidelines and has supported the “Social Awareness and Action plan to Neutralise Pneumonia from Society” (SAANS) campaign to intensify action for reducing mortality due to childhood pneumonia. With COVID-19 outbreak putting additional strain on oxygens systems, CHAI is also supporting efforts on respiratory care. The interventions in this program include health system strengthening, policy advocacy for gap identification and strengthening, oxygen demand assessment at public health facilities, landscaping the suppliers of oxygen, related equipment and accessories etc.
CHAI/WJCF is seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials in program management, operations, analytical ability, and communication skills to support the Essential Medicines (EM) program in the state of Madhya Pradesh. The candidate will also work closely with a multitude of internal and external stakeholders on improving program outcomes and ensuring program sustainability. The candidate must be able to function independently and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities including resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
 National, regional, and state-level all-cause and cause-specific under-5 mortality in India in 2000–15: a systematic analysis with implications for the Sustainable Development Goals, Lancet Vol 7, June 2019
- Support the Government of MP (GoMP) efforts in identification and implementation of high impact interventions for reduction of pneumonia and hypoxemia; support efforts to bridge program gaps, including in the specific areas of oxygen availability, supply-chain, capacity building, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Work closely with the State departments/bodies, focussing on health policy and related interventions, like National Health Mission (NHM), Madhya Pradesh Public Health Service Corporation (MPPHSCL), Hospital Administration (HA) etc. to support development of oxygen related administration guidelines, clinical protocols, demand and supply assessment, software tools, and on capacity building
- Design and implement processes, systems for collection, collation, and synthesis of program data to inform program strategy, operations, and reviews
- Provide analysis, field feedback, and support judicious adoption of newer technologies and products required for improving the oxygen therapy and severe U-5 pneumonia management
- Support CHAI leadership in preparing and presenting high-quality up-to-date documents of program activities and achievements, including, the progress reports, and process documentation
- Aid and support other aspects of the EM programs by working closely with the state, country, and global teams
- Should be willing to travel on short notice within the state and India, if required
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by program leadership
- Master's/Bachelor’s degree in either of the following fields: engineering, statistics, operations research, public health, or allied areas with 5-7 years’ work experience; Prior experience working with government stakeholders is preferred
- Exceptional analytical (qualitative and quantitative) with hands-on experience on Excel, R, Tableau, Power BI, and/or Metabase
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including the ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) skills and stakeholder management capabilities
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure and multicultural environment
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information, especially clinical, scientific, and technical manufacturing information