Cyber Security Operations Intern
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
The Information Systems and Telecommunications (IST) is responsible for managing and operating Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) activities within the Organization. The Information Security in the IST is primarily responsible for Information security programme design and management as well as Information security operation and monitoring.
This internship is with IST, the Information Security at the UN Women HQ. Under the supervision of the Information Security and Compliance Manager and in close collaboration with the colleagues in IST, the intern will produce essential deliverables to revamp and enhance the UN Women SOC (SIEM) and support the Information Security in its deliverables.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Information Security and Compliance Manager, the intern with an opportunity to perform the following roles and responsibilities, which may vary in accordance with the priorities of the Section:
- Support in revamping UN Women SOC (SIEM) Assist in analyzing the current UN Women SOC (SIEM) and identify the associated issues and challenges with it
- Assist in analyzing the targeted/ideal SOC (SIEM) and compile the information/findings
- Support in performing the gap analysis for the two SOC (SIEM) and contribute in proposing solutions to address the gaps
- Support in developing the project plan and assist the team in its implementation
- Support the team with other general project management tasks, as needed
- Assist in performing Daily Tasks such as handling Tier 1 Information Security incidents, performing Information security operations including monitoring and handling alerts from different security monitoring tools
- Develop understanding of the working of UN Women and the UN system, especially the Office of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
- Gain knowledge and develop skills pertaining to information security operational analysis
- Gain knowledge about cyber security engineering of information security center
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong analytical skills – able to study computer systems, information assets, business, assess any potential risks and consider possible solutions under time pressure and sometimes in a stressful situation
- Ability to communicate information security matters in a clear and engaging way to various audience
- Detail oriented, creative and problem solver with an ability to anticipate cyber-attacks, and resolve them
- Keen interest in the latest developments on cyber security such as legislations, and practices and techniques.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interest and some background in cyber security
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: Information Technology, Cyber Security, Risk Management or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and/or French are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.