Human Resources Assistant
Background Information - Job-specific
The HR Assistant works in close collaboration with the Projects and Support Services colleagues to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
- Implementation of HR strategies and procedures
- Implementation of HR services
- Knowledge building and sharing.
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- complete and in conformity with recruitment policies and procedures. Monitoring and tracking status of requests, and initiating follow up action to ensure submission is timely, accurate and contains complete documentation.
- Review of Terms of Reference or Job Descriptions, consulting with requesting colleague regarding any discrepancies between its content and the recommended level of remuneration.
- Preparation of Offer of Appointment or Assignment and related documentation for the signature of designated official.
- Proactive customer service to clients alerting the supervisor of any problems or delays in the stages of the recruitment process.
- Briefing and guidance to clients and partners on the application and interpretation of recruitment policies and procedures. Update and maintenance of information in recruitment systems to allow accurate statistical reporting.
- Response to human resources queries from staff in the unit and elsewhere in the Programme and to requests for information on employment and recruitment status.
- Processing of permit applications (e.g. visas) with the United Nations and establishment of tracking system.
- Extraction and input of data from various sources in the human resource database;
- Review of supporting documentation for processing various HR actions
- Verification of benefit and other human resource-related claims for accuracy and conformance with personnel rules and regulations;
- Assistance to supervisor(s) in monitoring the contractual status of all staff on various appointments based in immediate location or within the office’s mandate; monitoring of within grade service increment schedules and timely preparation and issuance of contract renewals and personnel action forms;
- Checking and maintenance of attendance registers, leave reports, DSA forms and other forms and reports;
- Maintenance of personnel files for all personnel at location, ensuring all documentation is complete; maintenance and update of confidential personnel information and documents, ensuring relevant documents are kept in their respective files;
- Search, retrieval, compilation, assembly and archival of a variety of HR statistical data from computer files, records, reports or from other sources for external use;
- Collection and maintenance of information on commercial, private and inter agency training schedules and institutions (course schedules, curricula, and cost);
- Assistance in the preparation of administrative reports; drafting of routine correspondence; arrangement for briefings and debriefings
- UNOPS, UNDP and UN-issued Human Resource and Personnel policy manuals, rules, regulations, guidelines, and circulars, updated and filed regularly;
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on HR.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:- The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the UNOPS HR services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate and properly documented records enhance UNOPS capability in the HR management.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Secondary Education is required.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Human Resource Management or equivalent is an assetand and may be accepted in lieu of respective years of experience
- With secondary education, two years experience in supporting a human resource management area or administration area is required
- At least two years experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) is desirable.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is highly desireable
- UNOPS/UN experience is desirable
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA (Individual Contractor Agreement) Contract level: LICA-4 Equivalent to ICS-4/G4 level
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
* This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan Nationals or persons with valid residence permits.*
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KMCO)
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and several island states.